Saturday, July 23, 2011

Music Is In My Soul~Whipping Post

I love music.  It soothes the soul and has the power to invoke so many emotions.  My life runs on music.  Ever since I was very young, I have always had such a strong love for music.  When I was in preschool, my teacher would play classical music during playtime and instead of playing like the other kids, I would sit next to the stereo and just listen.  


When I got older, I got a job at a record store.  My mom told me, when I got the job, she always knew, that somehow I would be working in the music industry.  I thought that was funny, I was like, "I work at a record store.  This is hardly, the industry."  She had just meant, I had always loved music and she knew it was going to part of my life.  


If I was a little more talented, I could play an instrument, but instead I  settle with the occasional outburst of singing in the middle of the store, my voice is mediocre at best.  Still, music is my life force.  It inspires me, it reminds me of events in my life and brings me to happier or even sadder times.


I thought I would share some songs that I love and tell you why I love them.  Maybe, make this a regular addition to my blog.  


The song I wanted to share is "Whipping Post" by The Allman Brothers Band.  I chose this song because I have been listening to it a lot lately.  It has just been playing on my player a lot.  There is something about this song that makes me stop and listen.  When it comes on, I can't do anything else, but listen to this song. 


Written by Gregg Allman and released November 1969, Whipping Post has this intoxicating blues sound to it and if you are a rock fan, you should appreciate blues.  That is where it all started.  The blues guitar is amazing and sucks you in.  You can feel the music and the emotion that is being conveyed.  Gregg Allman has an awesomely gritty blues voice.  You combine the music, lyrics, guitar and Gregg Allman, this song has it all. The most spellbinding and emotional 5 minutes (or 23 minutes, if you're listening to the live version) of music you can listen to.  I don't know how anyone can listen to this song and not feel the emotion.  You can feel the pain and the guitar solo at the end is pulsating.  This song is one of the most amazing songs ever.  


If you have never listened to this song here it is along with the lyrics.  Listen to it and tell me what you think.




I've been run down
I've been lied to
And I don't know why ... I let that mean woman make me a fool
She took all my money ... wrecked my new car
Now she's with one of my good time buddies ... they're drinkin' in some cross town bar
Sometimes I feel
Sometimes I feel ... like I've been tied to the whippin' post
Tied to the whippin' post
Tied to the whippin' post
Good Lord I feel like I'm dyin'

My friends tell me ... that I've been such a fool
And I have to stand by and take it baby ... all for lovin' you
I drown myself in sorrow ... as I look at what you've done
But nothin' seems to change ... the bad times stay the same ... and I can't run
Sometimes I feel
Sometimes I feel ... like I've been tied to the whippin’ post
Tied to the whippin’ post
Tied to the whippin’ post
Good Lord I feel like I'm dyin'

Sometimes I feel
Sometimes I feel ... like I've been tied to the whippin’ post
Tied to the whippin’ post
Tied to the whippin' post
Good Lord I feel like I'm dyin'








No comments:

Post a Comment